Benjamin's Kite (July 8,2008)

Benjamin’s Kite
by: Maria Reylan M. Garcia

And then there was light. It would seem almost a century that I have long been missing the glow from a fluorescent lamp. But turns out, it was just one dim and depressing week. It was like being taken back in time, way back before Benjamin Franklin’s grandmother’s mother existed. My eyes became accustomed to candle light evenings even if I don’t intend to be romantic. For one week, I lived without electricity. For one week, I suffered the stressful dilemma most of us commonly call brown out. I felt helpless after hearing the power company’s report that 18 electrical posts were down after typhoon Frank’s acrobatic display. I could not imagine myself surviving a whole week without booting on my computer or simply read my books under a bug-attracting yellow orange flare. But I had to, and quite surprisingly there were strange yet valuable lessons I’ve come to ponder on while the lights were off, literally.

The whole experience of forced isolation from the bounties of electricity made me prove right the proverb, “You’ll never miss the water until the well runs dry.” There were many instances when electrical supply was abundant and I tend to ignore its presence. I began to feel ashamed as I remembered my foolish self walking pass a largely lit yet unused room; I could have switched off the light. I began to be clothed with guilt as I recalled my silly self ignoring the boisterous noise of the television though no one was watching; I could have pushed the off button on the remote. After one week of studying with several fluttering insects and missing five episodes from a must-watch drama series, I felt nothing more but regret and wished to have been wiser. Conserve Electricity. Soon, it could be more than just a week without it.

Young Benjamin loved flying kites, when he grew older and a little bit insane he took it to a higher level, flying kites while hunting for lightning. Since then, people had been very much dependent on electricity and the technologies that innovated after its discovery. It is not so surprising that their absence could paralyze the daily routines of almost every one. Without electricity, one can not charge his cell phone, without his cell phone hundreds of possibilities may happen ranging from a furious girlfriend to a disappointed business partner. But, come to think of it, people had long existed harmoniously and with ample comfort even before Benjamin decided to fly his kite. People pre-electricity, to my own opinion, were more creative and resourceful. They thought of everyday garden spices preserving food. Pity us the post-electricity people, ending up with smelly refrigerators after a week’s worth of power failure.

With no televisions to goggle your eyes on, with no electric fans or air conditioners to cradle you to sleep it would at first appear to be nothing more but frustrating. But not having any drama series to watch on television extends the happy talking hours of dinner time with the family. You’ll appreciate more the primitive entertainment of chitchats and friendly gossips, from your brother’s dance practice at school or your mother’s dilemma with getting the laundry done without the washing machine. Yes, it was a week of humid and warm nights; perspiration was all over the place, but this paved way for family’s fanning each other to sleep with cut out cartons and lulling lullabies along the way. It’s a pity, after the power is back, dinner times will be cut short to “please pass the rice” and the cool breeze of air conditioners will be tucking us all to bed. I guess it wouldn’t hurt if power failures would visit us occasionally.

I wouldn’t let this article end without sighting some negatives. I always believe that nothing in the world stays one sided. The week without electricity had indeed been troublesome; fetching pails of water from a manual pump, eating all sorts of canned goods all week thereby drowning your body with preservatives, and finding all means to charge the multifunctional cell phones. Forgive my impulsive spirit, but I have come to known that some selfish money grabbing fools charges cell phones for around eighty pesos. Who are they kidding? Even a six year old would know that is too much. Some people couldn’t hold their greed much longer and decided to take advantage of the situation. Shame on you!

Yes, it was a week that I had come to think about all these random ideas. Yes, it was a week that I had come to learn all these important and practical lessons. Yes, it was a week that I had come to know the significance of my new friend, Benjamin Franklin.

The next time there’s a “brown out”, don’t despair.
You’ve got loads to learn and discover.
But for the meantime, Conserve Electricity.

0 comments: