A Parent's Promise (March 25,2008)

A Parent's Promise
By: Maria Reylan M. Garcia


A close friend once shared his high school graduation memories. He was at the podium on stage, neatly dressed with hair gelled, and standing in front of an audience of parents. Among the crowd, one woman stood out, for she worn differently among the rest. While others wrap themselves around branded and customized long gowns and tuxedos, this woman remained in a simple casual dress. But all the sparkling diamonds and flowing silk gowns that night couldn't compare to the attention that woman in a simple casual dress received. He mentioned her name and she stood up, the next thing happened was echoing applauses from each and every person in that auditorium. My friend was at that podium delivering his valedictory address, and the woman in that casual dress was his mother. At last, those many years had paid off.

The joy that a parent feels seeing his or her child on stage with a diploma at hand is beyond measure. Not a long time ago, a baby was in their arms crying every time they grow hungry and peed on their diapers, and here they see a graduate all grown up equipped with the age of time to unlock another door of opportunities and start living his own life. A parent's promise as I call it. Right there after holding their new born closer to their warmth, they would look up and swear to heaven that this baby shall receive nothing but the best of life. The only promise that I know that is most of the time fulfilled and granted. Here we see mothers serving as nannies to children far from being theirs; with the thought in mind that their sons could pay his tuition in due time before the semester starts. Here we see fathers risking their lives in dusty construction sites to send home a personal computer; with the thought in mind that their daughters could type her research papers with convenience. Things parents do for their children.

We can't do much to repay them as of now, but just simply fulfilling their dreams of finishing our education. It bugs me seeing students spending nights of midterm's week in night-out bars partying until dawn and drinking until they lose everything, literally. Our parents, if they could just perspire blood, if they could just extend the day to thirty hours, if they could just vacuum all the difficulties to fulfill their promise of the best, I know they would. Before you spend that cash on computer games that should have been for your chemistry text book; think first of your father at work growing wrinkles and grey hairs for you. Before you squander your allowance on liquor and cigars that should have been for your practicum fees; think first of your mother at home telling your younger sister to stop schooling this semester in order to send money for you.

March is coming to an end, which means another set of graduates all excited to step out of their previous phases and turn over to the next. March is coming to an end, which means another set of proud parents all revived to continue on living and continue on fulfilling their promise. Remember my fellow youth, the tassels were moved and the diplomas unfolded because of those particular smiling faces in the audience, clapping hardly whenever your name is called out loud, whispering "that's my child." Yes, there may be instances when they get too demanding, too strict, too controlling and annoying. But, always know that they demand so we may achieve. They are strict so we may be disciplined. They control so we may be guided. They annoy so we may feel what we would always do to them. They were once like us, we're just starting while they're already finishing. So obviously, they know the best, they understand.

My parents made a promise seventeen years ago and currently their promise is right on track towards its fulfillment. Next semester I will be in second year college, still more semesters to go through, but I won't get tired of doing so. One of the reasons why some parents can't fulfill their promise is their own children not letting them to do so. Be afraid of karma; realize that one day your future children may possibly do the same thing. Wouldn't it be a red hot slap on your faces?

I remember my high school graduation. I was in the podium like my friend with several medals clunking in melody. I saw my Nanay and Tatay together with my grandparents and aunt in the audience all gleaming proudly at me. That moment fueled me, to continue on and finish college for them. Someday when my hour glass reaches it's half, I'll be in the audience and hopefully my child will be in the podium. I'll make the same promise my parents made and fulfill it just like how they accomplished it.


My dear friends… Love your parents.

Let them fulfill their promise to you.

Study Well.

Happy Graduation!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Massagem, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://massagem-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.