Raiders of the Lost Christmas 12/16/08

Raiders of the Lost Christmas

by: Maria Reylan M. Garcia


It's already midway of the Yuletide season, but it seems this year, I don't feel anything special. Christmas has always been my most favorite time of the year, setting aside the already awaited gifts and extra allowances. It's those few weeks when you get to sing high pitched carols and not appear deranged. It's those several days when you get to please your craving tummy with all the delights that placed Santa to his Ho-ho-ho shape. It's the month of when you'll smile at every kid who competes as to who will make the longest Christmas wish list to North Pole and in the end found out Santa was just dad in his red pajamas and ruffled cotton mustache. The nights are getting longer, the breeze is getting colder and the colorful lights are getting brighter, but my Christmas hasn't fully sunk in. Am I beginning to lose my Christmas spirit?


A few years back, at this time, I would have been attending a family reunion exchanging gifts with my cousins, and beating the daylights out of a 24-hour karaoke marathon. I almost forgot the feeling of Christmas shopping when everything was bargain and as if I would get everybody a piece of everything. But now, these days when no one can escape the planet-wide economic crisis, I would rather spend my savings on required textbooks and next semester's tuition than spend them on even the cheapest the store has. I would rather spend my Christmas vacation reviewing for January's midterms than playing back was has been. It is the circumstances that kept on pushing me off Santa's lap. The more I become serious in order to survive this jungle called life, the more I become resistant to the simplest things that could have brought me the greatest of joys.


But then, I thought about an OFW mother who wouldn't get the chance to hug tightly and smother in kisses her five year old son this Christmas, but still found means to call and let the little guy know his toy truck will be on its way soon and his mommy loves him so much. I thought about a family of five this Christmas Eve who will make use what poverty will leave them, some cups of rice, salted egg and their most treasured pancit but still feel as if they will have the grandest noche buena. I thought about an old man celebrating the season sleeping on the cold sidewalks with gurgling stomach coughing and sniffing on weak lungs but still opted to dream of the fairytale Christmas he and his past wife had shared. These people should have more right to loose the spirit of Christmas than I do. So foolish of me, to presume that Christmas is becoming less special. I never thought that I could be so materialistic. It has been said countless of times that the true essence of Christmas comes not from pricy wrappers, elegant ribbons and annoying musical Christmas cards. The true essence of Christmas is giving and receiving. I have learned this ever since my very first Christmas. But, actually I just realized it isn't really giving and receiving. It's finding the love behind every gift you give and receive. As cheesy as it may sounds, love really does define Christmas.


Let us not maul over a not so grand noche Buena with a smaller sized sweetened ham than last year. Let us be thankful that we still get to eat with the same people who also joined us in eating the bigger sweetened ham last Christmas. Let us not fret about not having the Hongkong trip for this Christmas. Let us be thankful of the opportunity to explore the yet unchartered local sceneries of simbang gabi and indulge in the sweet melodies of daigon. Let us not frown over the thought that Christmas this year isn't like Christmas last year. It is we who are unlike ourselves of last year. We had become busier, we had become more preoccupied, and we had misplaced the love of Christmas. Busy as we are, we ought to hold on tight to that Christmas spirit that once gave us that happiness of watching out for Santa's reindeers in the sky. We might have forgotten to dust off our Christmas decors from our cabinets because of the never ending itineraries, but we should never loose grip to that warmth that kept us abounding in hope and optimism.

Christmas is not just a season independent and distinct to the other times of the year.

It is the culmination of what has been in the past eleven months. If we had been busy, now is the time to lay low and enjoy the few days' vacation with the Christmas bonus at hand and a family to share it with.


Am I really beginning to loose my Christmas Spirit?

Nah, it never really left me. I just forgot what it felt like.

Spread Love this Christmas.

Keep the spirit alive.


Many thanks to Dr. Garin-Vargas for the comment on my article "I don't want to die like Pepe"
Brilliant and logical thinking!! LIVE AND LEAD !!--we need more individuals with rational
concept like you. I am so proud of you.

0 comments: