Reason for the Season (12/23/08)

Reason for the Season
Maria Reylan M. Garcia

A story was told about a family on Christmas Eve. Their lights were among the brightest on the streets and their carols were many. Their banquet was sumptuous. Numerous gifts are under their Christmas tree, with wrappers shiny as the decorative balls hanging in multicolor. Those present were expectant of their gifts. Soon, they were forming a circle while singing "Love My Bonita". Then, are the exchange of gifts, everyone was overjoyed and began tearing the wrappers, followed by different reactions of seeing their presents. It wasn't long before the youngest of the family, about five years old, stood at the center of the circle and asked, "I'm just wondering, isn't today Jesus' birthday? Why doesn't he have any gifts, but me, I have five? My birthday is still next month."

The innocent child's question was answered by silence. Everybody paused and thought, while looking at the Belen, which shows the nativity scene, which was originally thought of as just one of the decorations at home.

It was indeed Jesus' birthday and no one seemed to remember.

The word Christmas contains the word "Christ", which means it was intended to remember the life He led.

But, it's not just Christmas, our holidays and special days are named in justice with reason for their honor. There's Labor Day celebrating the dedication of laborers to their work. There's Valentine's Day commemorating the martyrdom of two Romans of the same name and have become the patron saints of lovers. There's Independence Day remembering the struggle of our forefathers for the country's freedom from foreign oppression.

But at times, we forget the reason for the season. I may at times be guilty, for I believe that as long as I have not come to school on a holiday, sent my chocolates to a special friend or given my special pal a gift on Christmas day, I have already captured the essence and the very reason of the special day.

Frankly, people can get too self-centered. My class planned for a Christmas party and a good teacher suggested that for them to feel what the Yuletide is all about; they can spend most of their budget on giving food to the street children roaming homeless in the city. Not everybody thought it was a great idea. Some suggested on raising the budget in order to accommodate the financing of the almsgiving. Several wanted to have a special Christmas party with the best delectable foods to celebrate the previous months of sleepless nights in studying for hardcore exams. They said the Christmas party was for them, to enjoy and relish the start of relaxation and temporary freedom from stress. To be able to contribute some for the poor is already enough to feel the essence of Christmas. I contradicted.

Pardon me for ruining the fun of the class. Pardon me for being so idealistic and a trademark killjoy. But, the very instance the class decided to raise the budget for the party to enable the almsgiving would cancel its very essence. It is very noble and honorable indeed to give to the poor regardless of the price and the quality of what you gave. But, I believe it is awkward that after feeding some fifty children on the streets, the class would enjoy to themselves a more scrumptious, sweeter, and better banquet. Sue me for being very reactive and might even brand me as a trying hard philanthropist. The reason for Christmas is Christ's example of giving more and receiving less. Though it is hard to adapt the noble practice to our current economic crisis, it still takes a generous heart to allot even a fourth of his Christmas bonus to a needy neighbor. If you could spend some thousands for Noche Buena or a Christmas party, why not channel part of these blessings to the thousands of homeless and hungry people on the streets. Think of how many stomachs including yours, would be satisfied. Think of how many hearts including yours, would feel loved this Christmas because someone had remembered.

I am not implying to go hungry for the sake of others this Christmas. We have all the 364 days of the year to have the opportunity to be full and merry. I am saying we should feel even just a pinch of hunger, even just a trickle of dissatisfaction of what the less fortunate had felt all year round. Why? So we can appreciate more what we have. It's so ironic actually. We become hungry so we can appreciate being full. I am sorry but since I was young my parents and my value-oriented elementary and high school education had told me to share this Christmas. I guess not many share the same orientation. Some would rather go dropping coins in a donation box and spend the rest of the day spending bills for themselves.

The story did not end with each family member lining up to offer Jesus in the Belen shiny wrapped gifts with the name Jesus printed in their tags. It would be too cheesy and so the drama. The family in the story realized that aside from those bright lights and melodious carols they had are the millions of families on that very night without food, without gifts and worse, without a complete family.

Let us be generous.
Even how poor and needy we are there are others who are far worse.
Give while you can.
Have a Happy and Satisfying Christmas from my family to yours!

0 comments: