99 checks (02/10/09)

99 checks
By: Maria Reylan M. Garcia

When I was in Grade 2, I could not forget how Elementary Mathematics would drive me nuts, especially those dreaded fractions.Since then I already suck at Math, and that might be the reason why for our periodical exams, I decided to sacrifice some few hours of watching Pokemon just to perfect the art of finding LCDs (least common denominator). On the day of the exams, somehow I managed to remain confident that I can add and subtract fractions even with dissimilar denominators, blindfolded or hanged upside down.

My seatmate may have shared the same opinion as he moved his desk a few inches closer to mine. I don't recall if I was daydreaming but, I honestly saw his neck extended to a length which I deemed to be humanly impossible. My second grade self knew he copied off me, he cheated. Then, came the day when my math teacher handed out the results, I got a high score. I was quite pleased until she called my attention, she told me with stern eyes that she has two of my test papers. There were two test papers with my name scribbled on the first page. It wasn't long until we realized my seatmate copied not only my answers but my name as well. What a loser. He stinks more at math and he cheats.

In my column, I may have written more than one article on cheating.

This time, I'll do it once more. Just recently I felt as ifI was back in second grade.

Only this time it was a midterm examination on a subject I believe I was good at since it did not
involve numbers. It was indeed depressing as the exam could rip fully functional brains into sorry lifeless pieces. I found the test difficult and some significant persons at the back row might share the same opinion. I wasn't cheated per se, since I was at the front row,but I was disgusted at how cheating in classrooms nowadays can get so disturbing. I saw some significant persons at the back row, flipping the pages of our textbook and copying the unmistakable answers on the blank items of our exam. They took the opportunity while our proctor wasn't aware or should I say was trying not to be aware. After we checked our test papers, it amused me to find out how everyone at the back row got more than half of what others in the front row got. I scored at 99. They scored at 122 and they were discretely bragging about it.

Pathetic.

I'm sorry, but how low can they possibly get? They'll trade in their principles for grades. If I could only mention their names, but I wouldn't sink lower than they already are. It was unfair on my behalf and others who decided to take risks and ample amount of sacrifices. I stayed awake until wee hours the night before the exam,forcing in all information into my head. I planned to go about my midterm exams as clean and as worthy as I can. Although I got 99,those 99 checks were legally and legitimately mine. I just wonder what portion of the 122 checks they owned honestly. Then again, some guilty others would say they too studied hard but since they didn't retain that much, their mere effort would already be a passport to let them cheat without fear of culpability. I don't care even if you did not sleep the entire night before the exams. The point is you cheated and that is wrong. Robin Hood will always be among the villains even if what he stole from the rich he gave to the poor.

The reason, the circumstances nor the ends don't justify the means.My fellow youth, your actions define your breeding. Don't put to shame the good names your parents have invested much on. Cheating may just be a simple child's play but when caught, you'll be subject to critical opinions that may unclothe every single piece of principle you have. If you still have an ounce left of love to your parents,save them from shame. Corrupt officials, crime lords, black market merchants they all rooted from simple acts of cheating.

Yet, I don't want to place all the blame on those significant persons at the back row. I respect my elders, but our proctor didn't exactly perform what he was tasked to do. Most of the time, people cheat because the atmosphere is welcoming and has the aura that says,you'll never get caught. Some people tolerate cheating because they thought it would be a good deed to help others pass their exams. Some people ignore petty crimes because they thought it would be a virtue to lessen the burden of complexities. Well, if that is so, who needs rules? Who needs morals? My friends, I'm no wise man, but I am absolutely certain you're not helping those poor unfortunate souls.You're giving them the ways and means to perpetuate the vicious cycle. Cheating will never be right. If ever I may sound biased since those significant persons at the back row got so much higher than I did; I'm sorry I don't. Here I am proclaiming that I'm contented of my score, 99/142.

At least, I can sleep soundly every night, and I have spared my family's name from being lured into the hot-list of cheaters.

Cheaters are such pathetic losers!!!

0 comments: