How to be a nationalist in 85 million easy ways (June 21,2007)

How to be a Nationalist in 85 million easy ways
By: Maria Reylan M. Garcia

I noticed something oddly different as I was approaching our front door the other day. After I deciphered what it was, it left a smile on my face. “Did you see what I made, Yan? Did you see?” My brother said those words as he was gleaming as he was pointing on our front door. On our front door was a scotch-taped Philippine Flag, drawn on half of a short sized bond paper with carefully colored reds, blues and yellows, the three stars were outlined as well as the legendary eight rayed-sun. I was awed of how a ten year old would spend some time concentrating on his simple artwork, but I wondered more on how a ten year old would carry nationalism and commemorate Philippine pride along every stroke of his crayon. There I go again, with my inter-dimensional visits, where I stare blankly into space, and ponder about how a common object would widen my thoughts. In this case, I stared at my little brother and idealistically thought of the widely talked about and controversial Philippine Nationalism.

As the definition of Nationalism would perhaps remain constant, the curiosity develops on the question, “How exactly do you show Nationalism”? I checked up all the bookstores to find a book that might say “How to be a Nationalist in Seven easy ways”. Unfortunately, I didn’t. I bagged down with the dismay of putting an end to my quest of discovering the ways for nationalism. I tell you, it isn’t like a simple chocolate chiffon cake recipe on a cookbook. I pity a lot of self-proclaimed nationalists who spend sleepless night’s writing papers on proper showmanship of nationalism, of renowned rally advocates who fill the streets with their own beliefs of patriotic pride, and of some youth including myself who sighs to the confusing view of what a Proud Filipino must precisely be. It must be tough; I would have given up for this unending search until I thought about how my brother maneuvered his fingers in creating a simple display of Philippine Pride. Yes, I realized that simple 10-year-old-drawn Philippine flag was an act of nationalism.

I’m taking up BSN for college and yes honestly I’m looking forward unto going abroad after my board exams. Along with the tiresome future hospital duties and mind-numbing lessons, I am aware of the rigorous pressure of some people saying that going abroad after finishing up Nursing would make me less country loving. Most say, I would deprive my country of a service she deserves from me that I would not be just with my debt of honor to her. I’m quite aware that people might mistake me in being financially motivated. It would be a denial if I say I’m not going abroad for the money, of course I am chasing after the Benjamins (100 dollar bill). Just like the other millions of OFW’s around the world, we all are in search for greener pastures.

Accuse me for being practical and money wise, but never accuse me of being not nationalistic. It doesn’t mean if I go abroad I would be less of a Filipino. Much more, that if I stay here in the Philippines and serve my profession I would be more of a Filipino. Going abroad would be a way of nationalism. Our economy is flourishing due to the outpour of dollar remittances here in our country coming from the accused not-so-nationalistic OFW’s. Filipinos are being praised by many nations because of such brilliant display of talent, skill and profession in health care, engineering, house aid, arts, media and sciences because of abroad based Filipinos who coincidently excel in their fields. The mere fact of these millions of OFW’s sending financial support would prevent same amount of millions of their families back here in the Philippines from poverty. Saving the Philippines from Poverty is but another sign of nationalism. For a 16-year old like me, these are all displays of nationalism. I salute all the Philippine based nurses and other professionals; you’ve done laborious service to our country by being physically and all in all being holistically here. You deserve to be called nationalists. Then again, those OFW’s abroad facing all sorts of discomforts such as discrimination and physical challenges but still waving the Philippine flag up high, you deserve the same recourse of salute. You, too for a 16-year old like me, are nationalists.

I only showed a matter of two categories; The Philippine-based Filipinos and abroad-based Filipino’s nationalism. Each of them has separate ways of showing the spirit of Philippine pride. Not one has a heavier and bigger significance than the other, as each of them has the same goal, has the same vigor, and has the same dreams, which are for nation building. Serving locally and sending remittances has but the same level in the balance scale of Philippine Nationalism. I see the same generalization to be applied with private and public sectors, which are the capitalists and the government. The private sector, headed by the businessmen, show nationalism by executing their main role in economic flows, they provide goods for the consumers; they provide employment for the majority, and save their own families from poverty through the success of their businesses. The public sector or the government weighs equal grounds of nationalism, through its leadership and service oriented activities for the people. I see no difference in the nationalism offered by the President from my father who’s a businessman. They both serve the country in their own unique way. The President heads the country, my father heads our family. The President sees the security and progress of the country, so does my father with me, my mother and my flag making brother. The same nationalism offered, but in different channels of deed.

How do you exactly show nationalism? It depends on you. No research paper, statistical views, political views or any other source would tell you how. Discover it yourself. If the noble Benigno Aquino lived his life as a great lawmaker and risked it as well for his country, my little brother on the other hand took some of his television viewing time just to create that simple Philippine flag and posted it on our front door; reminding all of us in that household, that we can be heroes and nationalists in our own way. I don’t have to be Miss Philippines representing my country for the Miss Universe Title, I can just be a simple Nursing student dedicated into studying well, bearing the future of my family and of my future family in that matter.

We have different ways of showing nationalism. We are all around 85 million Filipinos, and I expect the “how to be a nationalist in 85 million easy ways” to be on the best seller list on the bookstores of our Philippine spirits.

Dare to make one out of the 85 million ways. Please.
Mabuhay!

(Comments and Reactions please send an email to reylangarcia@yahoo.com or an SMS to 09186363090)

0 comments: