Jigsaw Puzzle (April 24,2007)

Jigsaw Puzzle
By: Maria Reylan M. Garcia

Last April 15, 2007 the whole of Iloilo City was just unusual. There weren’t as many Ilonggos touring the shopping malls, there weren’t as many vehicles congesting the highways, there weren’t as many crimes reported, but there were an abundance of people whose eyes were locked on the television screen, whose ears are glued to the radio, all anticipating the big match of our own Manny “Pac man” Pacquiao against the undefeated Mexican Jorge Solis. It is amazing to think how Manny’s power punches could smoothen the heavy Iloilo traffic, could ease the weekly budget of most families for weekend shopping, and could put for tomorrow the modus operandi of some mischievous law breakers. In simple terms, Manny united the whole Iloilo, Manny united the Filipinos. Each Ilonggo and Filipino alike triumphed for Pac man’s every jab and thrust.

Coming from my childish thoughts, Manny did more than winning the victory for the Philippines. A number of families were brought together in their living rooms to watch his fight, bringing about togetherness in their homes; Friends dared to phone or text each other to inform how Pac man beat Solis’s on the eighth round, and once again the morale of every Filipino was boosted to a higher confidence. During Manny’s match, my family and I didn’t bother to eat outside or stay a few hours in the malls, rather we hurriedly bought some food to eat right after mass and proceeded home to watch the Pac man’s battle for glory. The turnout of events made a youth like me think, “How one Filipino could affect the 84,999,999 others”. Indeed, Manny played a huge role in uplifting the vigor of Philippine pride. With every punch he imparted to Solis, corresponds to every winning shriek of each Filipino both here and abroad. Thank You Mr. Pacquiao, you made a 16 year old like me hopeful and think of a brighter future for my country.

After the declaration of Manny’s victory, I overheard a simple chant that shattered my disposition that day. “Congressman! Congressman!” The crowd cheered. From that moment, I shook my head and sighed for my country. I may know so little about politics of the Philippine setting, nor good governance; but even a plain child like me could distinguish the fit from the unfit. I don’t have the right to question Manny Pacquiao’s desire to serve for his country, the Philippines really needs help. But, there are many other ways he could offer his service to the Filipinos than running as a congressman. We took our chances with other popular icons that ran for office but with fewer qualifications. Some prevailed but most of them were stagnant and still just another pretty face in the government. Sometimes to be noble doesn’t only require intense action, a lot of times it requires one’s backing out when he knows less action should be done I admire Manny Pacquiao’s genuine love for the Philippines, but I am annoyed by the fact of how he rebels with the truth and realities.

The Philippines is like a jigsaw puzzle, every Filipino is its piece, every Filipino has a space and fits perfectly to his own space. But once he goes to a space not intended for him, he becomes a misfit. This I believe is the basic principle of society. Every member has his own role and responsibility to accomplish, nature knows how these were delegated to each of the members, but the point is, these were delegated. I remember during my Biology lessons, we were taught of how the ecosystem functions. Each organism plays an important role called the niche. If an organism refuse or wasn’t able to perform his niche, there will be imbalance in the ecosystem. As Human beings, we are also organisms and we do have our niches. The problem with society today begins with the false belief of people who constantly pursues themselves with a niche they are not ought to do.

When I was in high school, I wasn’t much of a school icon. I only excel in silent fields, like academics and writing. There are times I would love to be known by every student in the campus. There are times I wanted to be popular. Because of this desire I became an animal with a strong urge for popularity, I tried to do what should not be done. I tried to fit a circle into a square. Yes, I tried to be a misfit, and became one too. I joined leadership conferences, workshops and tried my aura in student activities, but still I found my self at the back of the crowd still looking up unto a someone I wished I were. For almost four years I‘ve been living in my idealisms. Then fate turned in and brought me back to reality. Realizations transported me back, that even how hard I would try to fit into that desired spot in the jigsaw puzzle, never will my piece fit for I have my own perfect spot. I am one of the million Filipinos who became blinded with their own personal desires or personal goals may these be good or bad, they tend to forget their real roles, their niches, their spots in society.

Every member is a vital part of a whole. A hundred peso couldn’t be completed without a one peso; better yet it will still be ninety-nine pesos, and never a hundred. Take one away and everything will be not intoned and imbalance. The Yin and the Yang of Chinese belief depict a state of harmony and balance, without the Black you can never see the white, without the white you become blinded with the black. In a simple city like ours, one Ilonggo’s inability to perform his duty will lead to everybody’s inconvenience. Just imagine, if Mr. Traffic Aid will go on a vacation, what will become of the intersection ways? If Ms. Street Sweeper would take a day off, what will become of Iloilo streets while she’s gone? Although you might think, anyone could replace them; it will never be the same. It’s like saying; a popular boxer could anytime time, replace the position of a law maker.

I don’t have many experiences in life, but I think my awakening from my ridiculous slumber would be s simple reminder I won’t dare to forget. My parents told me one time, that if my brother could play piano very well, I should not be bothered or jealous to the extent. It is his part in society, making good music; to soothe troubled people, to set floating the in-love desperados. Through my writing I could equal his talent on the piano, for every words I put into harmony, are the notes my brother brings to symphony. I hope one day, our Pac man would realize this; that he can indeed equal a congressman, but in a different way, that is through his every undefeated and glorious matches bringing equal pride to the Filipinos as of a worthy congressman passing a decent bill to the Senate.

I salute Manny as a boxer. But, unfortunately if I have the power to vote, I won’t make him my Congressman.

Know your niche. Know your role. Know your part. Don’t be a misfit!

(Got any comments or reactions? Send them in to reylangarcia@yahoo.com or an SMS to 09186363090... better yet post them here.)

0 comments: