Perfectly Perfect (August 7,2007)

Perfectly Perfect
By: Maria Reylan M. Garcia

What is it with the word, perfect? At one glance it may seem to be just one of the cluster of words in the dictionary, or an insignificant blabber coming from any man’s conversation, or even some involuntary expression common to schoolgirls. But to most people, being perfect is easier said than done. It may actually appear to be undoable, or to the very least impossible. Perfection has been part of any to-do list of man, though it may not be explicitly stated, but within the network of consciousness, comes his desire to be the best of the best. As I understand, we can do nothing about it, as it is part of our nature, it is but part of our being human. Permit me to say, that it is then rational for someone to grope and even whim to become, to the very least, the best of his league. Yet, the horrible truth of perfection or being perfect kills millions of my brains cells whenever I think about it. Deeming to comprehend the abstract reality of perfection would seem to make a Human Anatomy midterm exam a piece of cake, better yet some packet of peanuts.

I admit, I am confused. Confuse of how people would define something without flaw, something for them to be excellent and somewhere near divine. Take the sensitive route of physical appearance for example. Spin the globe to the western side of it and everything rotates around the obsession of Caucasians to acquire the goddess-like tanned beauty. If only the Orientals understood the tantrums of the other race, then they would spot how the whiter skinned would see their bleaching mania to be a waste of time. The connotation of perfection in terms of physique and beauty is relatively subjective and depends on the beholder. Most of the people already understood that, but still there they are; sun baiting to get the freshest bronze look or saving up money to get the blanched skin of their dreams. I am extremely puzzled, not of perfection as being subjective, but on the thought that people understood its opinionated view, but still deem for that unwritten throne of being best.

Knowing how vast and widespread the epidemic of this obsession may be, I happen to be a lowly victim of its tantalizing venom. I have just been once again told off by my extremely galaxy-wide patient parents. Our midterms exams are due to be taken this week, and I was readily frustrated unto mastering every bit of information my textbooks binds within its pages. Who wouldn’t want to get a high score? Why would one settle for a passing remark when a top score can just be few hours of studying away? Yes, I too was deeming for perfection. I thought that if I get such a high grade then I would be happy. Then again, I failed to recognize that even if I got a perfect score, I still haven’t reached the state of perfection. A few minutes, that is how long happiness would last after seeing a high grade in an exam. After that, what next, as for me it would be an eternity of regret that I could have been sleeping soundly in wee hours of the night, or enjoying munching on the infamous junk food while watching my favorite soap opera. The state of perfection won’t be either of the two, either of the high grades or a paradise of vacation. According to my juvenile mind, it would seem to be simply the state of contentment.

Contentment, is one of the values or should I say goals that man often refuses or simply finds it hard to obtain. Without contentment you’ll fell everything is imperfect. This is where I got my logic. If the Caucasians would be contented and satisfied of their color and same as with the Orientals to keep their tropical complexion, then each of them would more or less gradually climb to the stairs of perfection. It isn’t how the world views it; depending on another’s perception would allow you to commit a regretful decision. Being perfect is in its course, and as people say, subjective. Now if we would all depend on what others say is perfect then we would never find an end to our obsession. I say, redefine the meaning of perfection according to oneself, in order to attain the sense of contentment and eventually happiness.

I wanted a high grade, but I also wanted to take a break and relax. The solution here, according to simple logic is actually elementary. If you wanted a perfect grade, you have to sacrifice the pleasure of enjoying. The same goes to, if you wanted to have a prefect recess, you have to give up staying up studying in wee hours of the night. That state, perfection, is achieved when you were able to decide which of which do you really want. It’s being contented of either of the two, or for a bargainer’s benefit equally shared among the two. Choose: you had a boring weekend but ended up with a perfect grade, or you had perfectly fun weekend but ended up with a low grade, or you had somewhat a fine weekend and ended up a somewhat okay grade. I may not arbitrarily judge that any of this is the best decision; it just depends on the satisfaction of the doer. If he feels it’s okay to fail but had enjoyed, then no one could sentence him to death if he blurted out he reached the state of perfection.

Perfection is about contentment and redefining it for one’s sake. I happen to landed upon the same hat. If I would sacrifice studying a subject just to use the time on writing this article, or don’t submit any article for the week and let myself be indulge in studying. I chose the bargainer’s benefit; I hasten up my studying and limited my time writing. Though I didn’t do both overtly well, I am contented of what I did. Thus whatever outcome would befall my world next week, I’d still say I’ve done a good decision and will reach the state of perfection, somehow.

Perfection covers three choices: this one, that one or the bargainer’s benefit. Choose one, and then be happy and contented about it. Sooner or later, you’ll feel perfectly perfect.

(Many thanks for the readers who commented on my previous write-up, Dare to be like Cinderella)

(For comments and reactions please send an email to reylangarcia@yahoo.com or an SMS to 09186363090)

0 comments: