Random Thoughts on Random Votes (April 18,2007)

Random Thoughts on Random Votes
By: Maria Reylan M. Garcia

Most people say that to vote is both a right and a responsibility. You are free to elect whomever you wish, but once you have scribbled a name in the ballot, you are entitled to a risk that requires previous discernment. I may not have experienced actual voting, for I haven’t reached the legal age to suffrage, but I have my own tiny ideas of how one simple doodle of names in a ballot could define the future of a nation. No one can question the choice of the other. If he votes for Senator A and I vote for Senator B, I have no legal authority to persecute him why he did so. This is why voting is a right. But I think one has the power to revolt, if the choice of the other lead to such a disastrous result. Now, this explains why voting is a responsibility.

I can’t deny that I’m one of the dignified nincompoops who constantly hum to the tune of campaign jingles. It’s catchy, don’t sue me. If Spiderman’s uncle told him “with great power comes great responsibility”; in the Elections, it is believed that “with great campaign comes great support from the majority”. True and without doubt, campaign speaks of the number of tallies the candidate would get. With a bright smile printed on a city billboard, a well choreographed TV advertisement, and some freebies galore; you’re sure to have supportive voters. Not to mention some promo projects, which are comparable to a demo on a brand new kitchen appliance; “Buy our new oven toaster and you’ll get this blender for 50% off!” is just analogous to “Vote for me, and you’ll get these health services for free!”

I may sound negative to campaigns, but I’m not. There is actually nothing wrong with all the gimmicks and trends each candidate creates. The candidates have all the rights in the world to set their own stunts. Yet, let this not be the only source of discernment in choosing the leaders, let this not be the only reason for regrets and laments in the end. The campaign is just a temporary sight of what a candidate could be doing if elected, but this isn’t an assurance that when you vote for him, you made a right choice.

I remember during our class elections, when we nominate a classmate we would usually say, “I have the honor to nominate (blank) as (blank) because he is so on and so forth.” There is always a reason why you’d like to nominate your classmate, there is always a reason why you want him to win. The same goes in the real world, there should always be a reason why we vote. Don’t vote because you have to; vote because you have the grounds to elect for someone. What my little voice is trying to say, we have to have qualifications when we exercise suffrage. If we could spend hours in doing our groceries, carefully picking our commodities, knowing the importance of quantity and quality; then, I think it is just proper to also spend time in discerning who to vote and why vote for him.

In the end, if the country would be at risk of downfall and everybody’s blaming the government, it is such a pity sight. Who established the government in the first place? Isn’t it the people who did? I don’t discriminate the capabilities of other candidates who are currently persecuted by critiques, either because of their past records or limitations in terms of proficiencies. Come to think of it, if that candidate is indeed as responsible and as nationalistic, why put to jeopardy the future of the country by engaging in the elections if knows he has considerable limitations? If the candidate is indeed country-first-minded, He should have had thought of this right before signing the candidacy forms. In my own simple and childish view, it is his just negligence and lack of plain understanding to accept that he is not competent of running. He can help the country in another way or two.


The credit or the blame to the result of the elections goes to the people. May he be the candidate or the voter, he is responsible. One reason why the Philippines, usually have chaotic rumbles after elections, is because every Filipino doesn’t want to take responsibility for his actions. That’s too childish if you ask me. It is like: “Let me have all the power, right and authority in the world, but free me from all responsibilities”. Ano ka hilo? It’s time that everybody grows up and stands for what he has done. I was taught that even if I have done wrong, but if I would stand up and accept that I indeed have committed such mistake, It doesn’t make me less a person. I would like to add to that lesson; it will make me more of a person, if I would then take actions to correct the mistake I have done.

This is what the Philippines need. She is free and sovereign but incapable to take a stand for a decision. Correct me if I’m wrong, but is it really hard to say “I am sorry”? Is it that difficult to correct a failure that you yourself had created? When you broke something, don’t blame it to others, pick it up and fix it, and others won’t blame you, for they saw change. I can’t vote. There are times that I feel so helpless and guilty that I can’t do much for my country. Unfortunately, I am wrong. I can do something. We can all do something.

To the voters, please consider not only your personal standards, but also the condition of the country. As you write the names of your chosen candidates, think twice. I hope whatever names you would drop in the ballot boxes; he or she could put into reality the dream of a better Philippines. I hope as you print your thumb marks, you were thinking of poor Filipinos unable to eat for several days, the clashes and chaos in Mindanao, the environment slowly depleting, the hopes in the eyes of young Filipinos of a better education, and the less-thought-of discriminated minorities. Will your chosen candidate be their voice? Will he uplift them all?

To my fellow youth (who still can’t vote), it is good we don’t have the blame because we didn’t choose, but we still have the responsibility. Study well, be an ambassador of good will for the Philippines in the future. Observe what society today brings forth, follow the good, and avoid the bad. We can’t exactly change the present system of our country, but so as much power can we do with our own generation. Help the Philippines by preparing yourselves to be future voters or leaders. It’s sometimes too dramatic to up heave for the ideal, but if it is the ideal which is right, then so be it. For every right comes a duty, and I hope this coming election such right is availed and such duty will be soon practiced.


One vote shouts one voice. Let it be heard.

(Got comments? Please send them in by posting here or through my email add at reylangarcia@yahoo.com or send an SMS to 09186363090)

0 comments: